This toolkit is applicable for industrial plants and factories, including chemical, food processing, and metal casting plants. In 2018, the manufacturing sector accounted for about 32% of total U.S. energy consumption. The manufacturing sector also totals approximately 35% of Pennsylvania’s overall energy consumption.
This toolkit provides you with the same initial steps we would take to start assessing energy savings potential in a manufacturing facility. Some of these changes you can make on your own, while others may require further consult and an expert energy audit. You can explore our case studies below to learn more.
If you have a specific project not covered by this toolkit, review PennTAP’s services here. PennTAP may be able to provide you with an energy audit at no cost. Be sure to contact PennTAP with any questions or to schedule a virtual audit.
The following fact sheets will point you towards some key areas for energy and cost savings in your facility. The sheets include statistics, tips, and guides on a variety of energy-saving topics throughout the manufacturing sector. The fact sheets cover:
- Energy Usage in the Manufacturing Sector
- Energy Savings Opportunities in Metal Casting
- Energy Savings Opportunities in Food Processing
- Energy Savings Opportunities in Chemical Manufacturing
The calculators will allow you to input your own site-specific information for estimated personalized savings. Instructions for use and a description of the energy saving project is included in each calculator.
For the manufacturing sector, we offer free calculators for the following:
- Compressed Air
To access the calculators, please follow the link below to complete the request form.
Note: The calculators should be used for educational purposes only and should not be used in place of a professional energy audit. The results provided are an estimation. Your savings may vary based on your actual facility and equipment sizes.
The case studies provide examples of savings achieved in other manufacturing facilities.
- PennTAP Helps Metal Coating Company in Greenville Earn $55,538 Grant
- PennTAP Provides Penn State Students Real-World Experience Working with PA Manufacturers
- Creating Voodoo Brewery: Fun, Flavorful, and Energy Efficient
- Custom Molding Company’s Award-Winning Energy Efficient Upgrades Total $27,000 Savings Per Year
- PennTAP Teams with LORD Corporation to Assess and Improve Second Facility
- Manufacturing Line Updates Save Energy and Boost Efficiency
- PennTAP Helps Coca-Cola Facility Identify Environmental and Cost-Saving Opportunities
For more information about saving energy throughout your manufacturing facility, visit the following:
- Energy Toolkit Glossary
- Portfolio Manager
- Industrial Energy Management
- Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection Grants
- Better Plants – U.S. Department of Energy
- ISO 50001 Energy Management Standard
This project was funded by the Metropolitan Edison Company/Pennsylvania Electric Company Sustainable Energy Fund. For more information about their programs, go to their website here.