Building Re-Tuning (BRT)
Over time, wear and tear, improper operation, lack of maintenance, and changing use can lead to energy inefficiencies and increased operating costs in institutional, commercial, or industrial buildings. Building Re-Tuning (BRT) is a low-cost approach to re-commission a building to restore or exceed its original performance.
PennTAP offers training and education intended to help those involved with building operations learn how to operate buildings more efficiently, reduce operating costs, and provide energy savings.
BRT Training Workshops
Thanks to a grant from the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) and the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (DEP), PennTAP conducts training workshops on BRT. This training program is provided at no cost for school district buildings, local government buildings and community college facilities, targeting facilities, physical plant, and operations personnel and in general those who are interested in making their building(s) more sustainable.
The purpose of the BRT workshop is to provide a platform to discuss the different systems that make up a school’s building operations. In addition to the training, it is a networking opportunity to discuss what other districts do with their systems, what barriers exist for the school districts, as well as how districts have succeeded in projects. The BRT workshop features a lecture and training in the morning followed by a building walk through in the afternoon. The intent of the program is to give back to Pennsylvania’s public schools and county facilities with no cost/low cost energy efficiency solutions saving facilities both money and energy.
The BRT training workshops typically provide the following:
- Training on current best practices and equipment
- Tips for DOE tools to use for energy benchmarking and tracking
- Rebate program and other funding resource information
- Networking with other facility managers, building operators, and financial personnel
- Shared success stories on energy-efficient solutions and lessons learned
- Practical experience from hands-on BRT walk-throughs in representative facilities
- An overview of building operator certification (BOC) and how it can help your organization. View information on upcoming BOC-specific training